Tuesday, January 5, 2016

In Towne Marina Lake Waconia Ice Report - 1/5/16

I just completed another ice check today to see if we made any gains the past 3 colder nights. So far it seems we gained another ¼ to ½ inch of ice, which is a step in the right direction. During the walk I continued to find snow depths of 2-5” of snow in most of the areas I drilled. I started my walk out towards the Walleye hole (between the In Towne Marina and Lola’s) and found 4 – 4.5 inches (4.5” is common) of ice where there is standing snow. I continued towards the S/E corner of the island, stopping shy of the island and was finding 3.5” of ice under the snow. I Turned and headed west towards the far North side of Waconia Bay, where I found 3.5” – 4.5” of ice under snow. The main part of Waconia Bay people have been fishing has 4.5” – 5” of ice under the snow.

It is important to remember that you can find more ice than this if you are drilling where there is less snow or where there is frozen slush (these areas are far less common). The ice thicknesses I am talking about are the common numbers found drilling holes randomly on spots without frozen slush or minimal snow. Most of lake is covered in snow, so I am reporting those numbers as usual. Thanks for checking our report! See you at the lake!