Friday, January 1, 2016

In Towne Marina Lake Waconia Ice Report - 1/1/16

Happy New Year!  I took another ice walk today, but this time walked further out to Cemetery Reef.  I started out checking Waconia Bay and by the “walleye hole” between the marinas, which continues to range from 3.5 to 4.5 inches with an average of 4.  I am still seeing wet slush on the surface of the ice in small areas under snow.  Where the slush has frozen to the surface, you might find as much as 6 to 7 inches of ice, but don’t get too excited with those higher numbers, as there is way more of the 4 inch stuff surrounding it.   As I got to the north side of Waconia Bay, I was finding more of the 3.5 inch ice.  I continued my walk east in front of Coney Island and I found even less ice as I made my way to Cemetery Reef.  The majority of the holes drilled on my way there, and on the reef itself were between 3 to 3.5 inches of ice.  There isn’t as much slush over there, but still plenty of snow, with drifts as much as 4 to 5 inches of snow in spots.  We continue to recommend walking only, as we will not be using ATV’s for a bit yet.  Don’t forget, our store hours for now remain: Monday thru Friday (9:30 am to 5:30 pm) and on Saturday & Sunday (8 am to 5:30 pm).  We look forward to seeing you!