Saturday, January 2, 2016

In Towne Marina Lake Waconia Ice Report - 1/2/16

I took a more extensive walk today, this time out from the Wagener’s Bay access to Pillsbury and Center Reefs. I found clear ice ranging from 4 to 5 inches out from that access and toward the deeper water of the bay. As I made my way toward Pillsbury, there was a decent amount of wet slush near and on the reef with a lot of the ice measuring 4 to 4.5 inches. As I headed east toward Center Reef, I continued to find 3.75 to 4.5 inches of ice, with less slush, but more snow (depths of 4 to 5 inches of snow common). A couple key reminders… 1. Where there is 4 to 5 inches of snow, we don’t expect much ice growth per day. 2. Where there is slush (randomly scattered around), when it freezes, ice thicknesses will be 6 to 8 inches, but there will be plenty of 4 to 4.5 inch ice surrounding it. All in all, I felt very comfortable walking to those areas. See you at the lake!